Search This Blog

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The unplanned marathon

Last night I discussed the possibility of a Marathon today. This morning I made it happen. Got the family safe out the door after making them pancakes. Started the run with my typical half mile speed walk and gradual ease into pace for warmup. I had decided the first four miles would be a trip for the dog and back to the house before getting 22 more. It was colder and windier than I was thinking it would be today. Despite being wide awake since before 3:30 this morning, I felt well rested and well hydrated but my body already wasn't performing at yesterday's level. Trying to keep my heartrate below 155, I found a hard time keeping my pace at a reasonable speed. There were times on hills that I just had to stop looking at heart rate and just run. I kept it at easy effort but it would skyrocket into the mid to even upper 160s at low effort on easy hills. I don't know what was up but something definitely was. Anyhow, I dropped off the pup and just kept chugging. Got up into black forest and ran a very wet, snowy, and muddy section 16 mid run before getting back to the pavement and heading home. All in all, about 8 of the miles were dirt and the rest were pavement which hurt my feet a bit as I'm not used to pounding the hard stuff. All in all, I got er done! Tomorrow's planned events include the incline as a family hike and if I'm lucky some mountain biking but I think the trails are going to still be too muddy.

Until Next time...

See you at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment