Search This Blog

Sunday, June 28, 2009

1st Taste of 4th Class : Mt. Lindsey North Ridge 14,042'


Peak: Mt. Lindsey - 14,042 feet
Warning: Don't attempt a 14er with with MountainMicah83 unless you are looking for a crazy adventure. I always read those reports of those who climb mountains such as greys and torreys in 4-5 hours and have a decent time and get back to the car with an uneventful trip. This has yet to happen to me and Mt. Lindsey has kept the adventure running.

This will be a long report but hopefully interesting

I was planning on doing this peak with Jean Roy (the canadian who is attempting all of our 14ers this summer), but I misread the date he was climbing. My friend Matt called me on Wednesday of last week saying that he was itching for a climb. He fractured his heel in like 10 places snowboarding back in march and has just returned to work only a couple of weeks ago. With 14 screws in his bones, the Dr. said his bones were strong but his ligaments would be sore, but that he should be able to climb. He showed up to my house in Falcon around 5:30 on Sat night and we were off around 6. We decided to take his friend's Jeep that he was borrowing. After driving through the torrental rain, the Jeep petered out down near fountain. It decided that it didn't want to run any more. We called a tow truck and had it and us towed back to his house in the springs where our wives met us with my Jeep. At 9:30PM, after swapping over our gear, we were off again for our mountain.

After detouring into Walsenburg at about 1030 for some much needed dinner, every restaurant was already closed. We ended up having hot dogs from the gas station. Driving up HWY 69 and then the 15 miles or so of dirt roads was slow going. There were deer, skunks, and porcupines out everywhere. We arrived at the TH from the rough 4WD road (as 14ers describes it) around 1245 PM. My honda civic could have driven up that road... backwards! I was worried about Matt's foot tiring out, so we decided to hike then rather than sleep at the car.

We stepped off at about 1:15 AM
Image

After about 30 minutes, the route finding became a bit difficult as the water runoff has overtaken the trail. After skipping over back and forth several times through all of the hundreds of routes that hikers have created, we got a bit turned around. We relied on the 14ers.com GPS track (thanks bill) to get us through and back to the trail. Soon later, we came to the beloved river crossing. This was interesting in the dark.
Image

I was hoping this iced matt's foot a bit. We rested and had a PBR that I packed in while our feet dried out a bit. Now after 2 AM and we weren't feeling tired yet.
Image

We set up "camp" at about 4 in the morning at about 12000'. We were moving slow so as not to aggrivate the foot! Got so sleep around 4:30. After about 2 hours of kind of sleeping, we awoke and Matt snapped this pic of me with Lindsey in the distance.

Image
Matt built his "mini-stonehenge thing" (I can't remember the technical name) for good luck while I was gearing up my pack.
Image

At 8:15 or so, we resumed our slow pace towards Lindsey.
Image

We meandered up this hill that reminded me of the Mt Elbert trail...
Image

Upon almost reaching the Lindsey/Iron Nipple saddle at about 12900', the mountain was in our sights...
Image

We reached the saddle at around 13,100' (I think) and snapped this back towards part of Iron Nipple (left) and Huerfano Peak (right) which I was hoping to climb (hike) later if the weather lasted.
Image

To this point, the summits of Blanca/Ellingwood and Little Bear were all socked in and the clouds were approaching Lindsey. Luckily, they were dissapating up and away mostly. Matt snapped this photo of me as we headed toward the final stretch. Notice the 3 climbers in the couloir. Our route was going to be the class 4 ridge so we split right shortly after this...
Image

we stayed high (actually too high on the class 3 ridge and ended up having to downclimb those sharp points in the route description over some pretty decent exposure. This is matt just before getting to those sharp points.
Image

Because we were far right, it was too difficult to cross back into the main class portion of the face without being over exposed with not very many good holds so we decided to take a route that ended up being about 5.7 on the far lower right. Matt is much more of an experienced of a climber than me and is pretty much a trad expert so I felt pretty safe. We climbed as the exposure increased until I felt that I needed to rope up. We didn't have a full rope but only a small 30 meter half rope/iceline. This was enough since any falls should be able to be caught without too much vertical drop on the rope. There were only really about 10-15' that I was a little scared of with the exposure, but we used the length of the rope anyhow. After both tying into it, Matt just free climbed the section because he felt safer about it. He set his anchors at the top and belayed me as I climbed. The climb was not too hard but very exposed. After getting past the crux, where I felt more comfortable, I snapped this pic of Matt belaying me with the sun behind him. The part in this picture is really only probably class 3.
Image

Matt reaching the false summit...
Image

Near the false summit, we passed the 3 climbers from earlier that were in the couloir decending the other way. The said the couloir was nasty and the ice axes were just breaking out large chunks of snow. They didn't want to return that way.

The rest of the route...
Image

As we reached the summit, the clouds revealed Blanca's summit and part of Ellingwood to us. We eventually got a good view of little bear but didn't get a pic. Blanca is just beautiful from this side, with like 2000' feet of vertical cliff back there.
Image

Matt sporting the logo of his climbing shop back in Oregon...
Image

The summit was nice. Tiny breeze and over 65 degrees up there. We needed some lawn chairs and umbrella drinks.

Me on the summit with Blanca in the Back...
Image

Then these crazy shirtless mountain men came out of no where and started swinging their ice axes at us...
Image

After that, Matt decided he needed a new facebook photo...
Image

After some cliffshots, a smoke on the ol tobacco pipes and a couple of shots of whisky, we headed down because the cloud formations became worrisome.

At around 1:15 PM we arrived back at the saddle. We actually found an easier, much less exposed class 3/4 route down the other side of the wall on the way down. The weather looked decent so the plan was that Matt would rest and I would bag Huerfano, since it is one of the Centenniels. I got up through the notch of Iron nipple and back down and on the way to the summit and the clouds quickly nastified. I turned around and scurried back to Matt on the saddle and we headed back to camp. On the way, I snapped this pic of Blanca...
Image

and one of Matt
Image

We arrived back at at camp and each had another PBR that I had stashed in the snow under our vestibule. Matt was getting slower and slower on the way back being out of shape from his injury and the pain of his foot. At around 11,000', we agreed that I would take off ahead and fire up the charcoal grill at the car for some burgers. I headed out, crossed the river and set for the car. It began to lightly rain and I was praying it would stay like that and not get worse.

Since we ascended in the dark, I snapped these pics of the lower valleys...

Image
Image

20 minutes or so later when Matt caught up, we had a beer and some burgers chilling in the now hard rain.
Image

Little did we know, the adventure was not yet over...
While driving back down the long dirt road, in the middle of nowhere, this chick in a long black skirt with hiking boots came running out of the woods screaming and waving us down. Assuming she was in trouble or maybe even had been kidnapped and escaped we began to stop since she was waving us down with a very concerned look at her face. She then began crying and then shouted for us to get away and that she didn't need help. Then she turned and started hitting the tree next to her and yelling at it. I noticed a revolver holstered on her hip and we got the heck out of there. I wasn't willing to stick around and see this chick who was probably tripping start shooting at us. I hope she ended up ok! I don't mind helping out, but not when I am risking my life!!!

We headed home with one more tale left. Driving through Colorado Springs, the sunset was very orange and just gorgeous. Then... Matt noticed a funnel cloud north of pikes peak. It appeared to be right about on hwy 24. Sorry the pic isn't that great. It was raining and we were cruising down the highway...
Image

After viewing the news this morning, they mentioned the funnel but said it didn't touch down and there was a lot of hail over there.

All in all, it was another fun filled adventure and I can't wait to see what happens next time. Maybe the actual mountain will possess the adventure rather than everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment