Search This Blog

Saturday, January 31, 2015

January 2015 Monthly Training Summary

Actual Numbers:
Miles Run: 221.7
Miles Biked: 273.2
Total Running Time: 39:48
Total Biking Time: 16:52
Running Elevation Gain: 24,993
Biking Elevation Gain: 7,428

Total miles:  494.9
Total Time: 56:40
Total Gain: 32,421'



Loose Training Goals From Dec for this month:

Miles Run: 200
Miles Biked: 150
Total Running Time: 34 Hours
Total Biking Time: 15 Hours
Running Elevation gain: 25,000'
Biking Elevation Gain: 12,000'



As you can see I did pretty decent with my monthly Goals. Actually got in more biking than I wanted. Funny thing is that I did a 'rest' week this week instead of next week as scheduled. Listening to the body is key and I needed this week apparently. After getting consistent last month, the theme this month is adding in biking as I realized that it is something that has to be worked. That is the trick for Leadman. You cannot count on being a good runner and it carrying you through for the biking. While I'm sure I would finish in the cutoffs, I as always want more so I am determining the delicate juggling act of the two events to see just what will produce the best results. This week I got the cyclist's training bible by Joe Friel and have been studying what it takes to be a good great cyclist. I take volumes that Joe puts out for biking and then am basically slicing it in half and doing what I already know how to do with the running half. At this point I am not worried about biking technical skills as much as general fitness. I have a pretty good array of MTB skills already and I'm sure I will get plenty refined as I get trail time throughout the season. Looking at this month last year, I logged a total of 51 hours for actually my second biggest month of that year. It was all running though so still my highest running month. I believe 50+ hours a month from now until Leadman should sit me pretty right. While I wish there were always time for more, this is aggressive enough for me to feel confident in my results this year. Last Feb was a sad month with only 29 hours of training so it shouldn't be hard to beat. In fact, I am hoping to double last Feb. Here is to aiming high! I would also like to see my weight drop into the 170s again as I am still hovering around 181 to 182. Not willing to give up beer though. Just going to continue the mostly clean eating I do and for the most part try to maintain a lower carb diet.

Looking on to what is in store from Feb. Joe Friel (My virtual coach) via his book has shown that I need to get better with planning so I created a periodized spreadsheet that peaks at the Leadville Trail Marathon for the first time of the year and worked backwards with 4 week base and build blocks that are 3 weeks hard, 1 week easy. Because I took an easy week one early the last of Jan, I will be looking for 4 hard weeks in Feb with one easy week the first one of March. A good bit of this bulk will be the still base building but same laser focus on running preparing for the Salida Run Through Time Marathon in Mid March. I want to do this while still maintaining my increased bike load. Since January saw the gradual increases week to week, Feb will be the name of keeping that consistent. Last week of Feb, I am looking for one of my largest volume weeks of the entire training season at 18 hours as far as time for the week. Weeks after that will begin to end base building so intensity will increase and time will slightly decrease to accommodate. I will also begin upping intensity a bit that week for the running so I can get my speed back up where it should be for the Marathon. As always I plan to listen closely to my body and give it a break when needed so I won't burn out or get injured. This mean taking an extra day off here or there or an early training week as needed to ensure I stay healthy. Missed days are not always bad when it comes to training. As athletes hear time and time again... Training+Rest=Progress. You have to respect both parts. The training times and elevation gains are most important for me to hit over mileage as mileage can vary depending on if I ride road vs. MTB vs. trainer vs. in the wind etc. It will all be dependent on weather. For running, I plan to just stay consistent and hopefully log some weeks with close to 60 miles while still having the bike lingering in the background. I do hope for more time on the dirt for riding though if the weather allows for it.

Loose Training Goals For Feb:

Miles Run: 200
Miles Biked: 450
Total Running Time: 35 Hours
Total Biking Time: 25 Hours
Running Elevation gain: 25,000'
Biking Elevation Gain: 12,000'

Until next month...

See you at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment