Search This Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Training week 18-24 Nov 2013

Weekly Totals:
  • Miles: 60
  • Time: 9:39
  • Gain: 2,001'
  •  Beers: 6


  • Monday 18 Nov: Went for the franks and beans 8 mile double lap at Schriever. First 4 mi were with Sean. Then finished alone. Slight right IT band knee twinge last 2 miles gone after cool down.

    Running Stats:
    • Miles: 8.04
    • Time: 1:13:21
    • Pace: 9:07
    • Gain: 169'
    • Surface: First 4 gravel, second 4 pavement
    • Additional: None
    • Feelings: Pretty good.
    • Weather: Low 60s and 5-6mph wind.

    Diet Stats:
    • Breakfast: 3 Scrambled eggs with red onion, mushrooms, green hatch chilies, 6 oz vegetable juice.
    • Lunch: Leftover Eggplant Rollatini, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, banana, pear, string cheese, mixed walnuts and almonds.
    • Afternoon Snack: Salmon Pouch
    • Dinner: Dijon Chicken Strips, Cous Cous, Sautéed Bell Peppers red and green and onion
    • Dessert: 1 scoop Ice cream
    • Beers: 2
    Tuesday 12 Nov: I knew work was gonna be busy and I wouldn't get a lunch time run in so the plan was early AM but my knee felt funny at 5 am and it was dark and cold. I know, the first rule of ultras is No whining! I figured I would take my day off today instead of Friday or maybe both? I ended up getting in a late afternoon run between work and school. Still trying to work that 155 Heart rate for my Maximum aerobic function base building.

    Running Stats:
    • Miles: 6.09
    • Time: 54:50
    • Pace: 9:00
    • Gain: 110'
    • Surface: Pavement
    • Additional: NA
    • Feelings: Only felt knee during warmup and then went away. Warmups and cooldowns are so key and so amazing! They are the key to injury prevention.
    • Weather: Evening sun to start then sun went behind clouds and it got cooler. Upper 50s with 3-4mph of wind.

    Diet Stats:
    • Breakfast: Herbal Tea with Honey, 1 serving Oatmeal with 2 t. Brown Sugar, 2 cups black coffee
    • Morning Snack: Blueberry Muffin (carb budget buster)
    • Lunch: Ham and Cheddar Cheese Sandwich on Whole Wheat bread with mustard and homemade mayo, sugar snap peas, seaweed wrapped rice crackers
    • Afternoon Snack: Glazed Donut (What?), honey crisp apple
    • Dinner: Lamb Shoulder Chops with Mushroom Orange Chop Glaze over cous cous
    • Beers: 0

    Wednesday 13 Nov: Lessons in humility... While the weather was quite possibly one of the nicest days of the year in the mid to upper 50s with only the slightest breeze, it was ideal conditions for running to say the least. I can't believe its supposed to snow tonight. Working at my 155 Maximum Aerobic Function pace, I learned how to run a 10 min mile today. I never thought I could even run slower than 9 without ruining my gait. The goal was 1 hour or just over so I shortened my usual distance to keep the goal. It is my first goal week with 60+ miles planned which is a big deal for me. I wonder if the snow storm coming in tonight and the barometric pressure are effecting my body or am I denying the fact that I could be over training? Last week just seemed to be a cut back week and with no long run and I haven't been pushing it all nor do I feel stressed althouh I did go to bed about 30 min to an hour later than normal last night because of class and playing with the best tool online for logging my stats. After making accounts for several sites such as strava, runningahead, and others, I learned the power of Garmin Connect and that I could upload my workouts from to there to mapmyrun which I currently use and I might not have to change that. Anyhow today is long winded but while I mentioned my mileage goals, my real goal is to build to 12 hour training weeks and I'm in the 7 to 9 hour range right now looking to build my long runs to increase the time. Hopefully things lighten up a bit cause I have 20 miles planned for sat and 12 for Sunday with the 24 mile Brass Knuckle Shuffle next Sat.

    Running Stats:
    • Miles: 6.31
    • Time: 1:04:06
    • Pace: 10:09 (Slower than when I started running in January)
    • Gain: 126'
    • Surface: mixed but mostly pavement 
    • Additional: none
    • Feelings: I felt great and if I just listened to my body without the heart rate monitor, I would have gone anaerobic. Very much learned the importance
    • Weather: Weather was mid to upper 50s, sunny with the slightest breeze.

    Diet Stats:
    • Breakfast: 1 serving oatmeal with brown sugar, 6 oz tomato juice, 2 cups black coffee, 1 cup herbal tea with blue agave.
    • Lunch: Half before run half after. Before half: 3/4 c. pecans, string cheese, grapes. After: Ham and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, banana, sugar snap peas, blueberry yogurt, apple.
    • Afternoon Snack:
    • Dinner: Beef Fajitas
    • Beers: 0
    Thursday 14 Nov: Off day! After the heartrate incident yesterday and the family coming down with a cold, I had slight symptoms so I woke up and took tons of garlic, echinecia, vitamin c, and emergen-c. Did that a few times throughout the day and let my body fight it off without adding the stress of a run. Feeling jipped of a day of running but hopefully I can run tomorrow and let today be my off day. I will have to get out tomorrow and just see what my heart says  (no pun intended).

    Running Stats:
    •   NA     

    Diet Stats:
    • Breakfast: 3 Scrambled Eggs w Mushrooms/Red Onion/Bell Pepper/Ham, 2 cups black coffee, 1 cup herbal tea with blue agave.
    • Morning Snack: 2 miniature blueberry muffins
    • Lunch: Spinnach salad with lots of veggies and eggs and cheese, small serving of rice and pork
    • Afternoon Snack:
    • Dinner:
    • Beers: 0
    Friday 15 Nov: I'm back. Regardless of the fact that it is colder than normal outside, my pace for a 155 Heartrate came back. The wife and son were getting a cold the other day so my heart rate monitor threw me a bone. Without it I would have not known that my heartrate was elevated and would have run faster on wednesday and run yesterday and probably gotten the cold that my body was fighting before I ever got it. Great feeling 8 miles in the mid 20's. Was sweatting a little to much with the light running jacket over a polyester tshirt due to the lack of wind. Also wore gloves and a headband. Weighed myself after the run today and um..... either the scale is broken or I lost 10 lbs in a week. I was just over 166 today on the same scale I always use. I'm still fairly certain that there is no way I am under 176 which is still awesome.

    Running Stats:
    • Miles: 8.09
    • Time: 1:13:56
    • Pace: 9:08
    • Gain: 163'
    • Surface: Wet pavement with some ice and snow
    • Additional: None
    • Feelings: Felt amazing throughout and after!
    • Weather: Mid 20s and almost no wind and not sunny.

    Diet Stats:
    • Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese topped with salsa and sour cream, 1 large cup of black coffee, 1 cup herbal tea with blue agave
    • Morning Snack: na
    • Lunch: Spinnach salad with ham and other veggies and olive oil and vinegar, apple, grapes, string cheese, almonds.
    • Afternoon Snack: Quesedilla with green chilli and other stuff, mango mandarin sobe, sugar snap peas
    • Dinner: Old Chicago. 2 pieces pizza and half a large cobb salad
    • Beers: 1

    Saturday 16 Nov: Long run day. Another day in the mid 20s with no wind. A bit nippy for a run but definitely tolerable. I dreamed of this run long ago when I was driving to the Black Forest section 16 and I wondered if I would ever run there to do the 4 mile loop and run home. Its 8 miles to get there so a great 20 mile loop. I picked up a new 21oz. Nathan insulated handheld water bottle on sale last night  at REI while looking at hydration vests to find they only stock 1 vest. I rocked the bottle with my other 16 oz bottle that I dropped at around 3 miles for the end of the run on the return. I also bought some various electrolyte drink mixes to test them out. I tried Hammer Perpetuem in the big bottle and another kind in the smaller one and I also carried my belt with 2 8 oz bottles of water that I never ended up touching. While I was mostly on pavement which was a lot more than I'm used to, I got the Black Forest loop which was buried in about 3-4" of snow that maybe 7 or 8 people had already packed down slightly. All in all it was a great run that took patience to run that slow sometimes while trying to maintain that 155 target MAF heartrate I have been working on for base building.

    Running Stats:
    • Miles: 20.11
    • Time: 3:09:47
    • Pace: 9:26 (includes warmup and cooldown walking)
    • Gain: 836'
    • Surface: 70 percent pavement with some ice- 10% sides of road and 20% snowy trail.
    • Additional: no
    • Feelings: felt really great. Was actually feeling it in the leg muscles the last couple miles.
    • Weather: 24ish degrees with 2-3 MPH wind at the most.

    Diet Stats:
    • Breakfast: 2 Fried Eggs, 2/3 serving oatmeal with brown sugar.
    • Morning Snack: Hammer Recoverite after run
    • Lunch: Subway Oven roasted chicken on 9 grain wheat with all veggies
    • Afternoon Snack: gouda cheese, canned salmon
    • Dinner: 2 slices leftover pizza, chips and salsa
    • Beers: 1
    Sunday 17 Nov: Went out for a 12 mile to sum up the week. I was hoping to show up for the First Incline Club run of the season which was that distance but with elevation gain and the club photo but I had to get the house cleaned for my son's 1st bday which takes priority. About 3 miles into this very cold run, I realized this was a bad idea and my right knee was bothering me which I think is the IT band again. I turned around at 5.8 or so miles so I thought I was close to 12 and even took an extra loop at the end to only make 11.14 miles. This brought me to 59.78 for the week. I really really wanted 60 for the first time being that I'm a numbers guy as you can see like the last .22 miles really mattered. As such, I took the liberty to run up the stairs at home 30 times in my pajamas to make 60 and a very slight few feet of elevation gain compared to the couple thousand I missed this morning. Coming up is some rest and recovery so I can enjoy the Fat Ass Series Boulder Brass Knuckle Shuffle next weekend that is 26+ miles and 7000+ feet elevation gain and loss.

    Running Stats:
    • Miles: 11.14 (+.22)
    • Time: 1:57:34 (+5 min)
    • Pace: 10:33
    • Gain: 197' (+300')
    • Surface: Pavement (some covered with snow).
    • Additional: none
    • Feelings: My right IT band on Knee was hurting and I should have probably turned around at about 3 miles but I toughed it out and ended up having to walk a lot. Good simulation for an ultra but I don't know if back to back "long runs" are a good idea on a regular basis as I would prefer to not be injured.
    • Weather: Cold. 20 degrees and slight breeze.

    Diet Stats:
    • Breakfast: Veggie Fritatta, black coffee, lots of water
    • Morning Snack: na
    • Lunch: Ham and Cheese Sandwich
    • Afternoon Snack: Party! 7 Layer bean dip with chips, cake, ice cream, nutter butter cookies, root beer.
    • Dinner: TBD
    • Beers: 2  Left Hands

    No comments:

    Post a Comment