Search This Blog

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Summary of Training Week Feb 9-15

Weekly Totals:

Miles Run: 49.4
Hours Run: 9:03
Running Elevation Gain: 6,250'

Miles Biked: 97.9
Hours Biked: 6:27
Biking Elevation Gain: 4,596
Total Power: 4899 kJ

Total Training Time: 15:31
Total Elevation Gain: 10,846'

Summary: I tried something different this week with the blog. I posted individual postings on each day and changed those to not list so many details because I was really just transcribing them from Strava. This makes it not so much of a book at the end of the week that no one probably really reads anyhow haha. Basically, what I am saying is if you want to know more specifics, follow me on Strava, Garmin, or MapMyRun. Otherwise, the blog will now just contain details that are the good parts and on top of the daily, I will post the weekly on Sunday nights for a summary like this. Anyhow, on to this week. I ended up with 15.5 hours on the week which is pretty good. I actually had 14.5 planned but I squeezed in an extra ride on the rollers tonight for an hour. Part of the extra time actually came from doing the incline with the fam vs. solo. I would have round tripped it from Manitou in about an hour and fifteen but carrying a kid in a pack took a while longer. Still broke a good sweat though so it was good for something. All in all, I got 2 long runs this week. One flat and faster 18 miler and one 3,600' gain 17 miler 2 days later with a 2 hour MTB ride the day in between. Baz tagged along on both long runs like a champ which shows me he is getting stronger too. Towards the end of both he was starting to drag but did much better than I thought he would. Last year, we got to a point where I got in better shape than him and since he was slow I quit taking my best training partner. It is much better when he can keep up and enjoy the fun too.

I might be cutting the volume slightly. By slightly I mean no more 3 a days. If I ride twice for a commute, I won't run etc. While I'm still on nights through March, this might mean commuting every other day so I get one ride and one run or something but riding is really more subject to weather during the winter. Gotta get it while you can or else ride through it. Once I go back to day shift, it will mean either commute or run but probably not both. The issue is not down to my capability or willingness but down to family time and ensuring I'm not too selfish with my workouts. I want to do good at leadman but not at the cost of my family as much as possible. This will shave a couple hours a week off my plan but should make things more balanced. Since I'm not trimming the long runs or rides, it shouldn't effect the overall result as much and in fact could actually provide better results for all I know. One thing I might do as well is consider alternating some weeks between long bike efforts and long runs but every good Leadman knows the money is in the run. Extra training shaves minutes off the bike times or hours off of the run time. Looking at the rest of the month, I have two more good hard weeks planned before a rest week the first week of March and then the Salida Marathon the week after that which is a month from yesterday. This coming week will be the key week for the Marathon and my long run is the 50k Headless Horsetooth Fatass on Sat in FOCO. This week I will also probably begin to do a little bit of speed work on a couple of runs to get that leg speed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment