Search This Blog

Monday, February 23, 2015

Rest Day

Wasn't planning on today being a rest day. It just kind of happened. After training for 21 days straight without a full day off, I suppose it is time. Got home this morning and shoveled the driveway in 4 deg. On the drive home, I thought I would finally give in and run the treadmill. Upon shoveling, I thought the outside temp was bearable enough with not too much wind. After eating breakfast, I was enjoying snuggling too much with my son and then got sleepy. I planned on just a 90 minute spin when I got up instead before going to work. After getting up after a solid 8 hours of sleep, I was groggy. When it came time to hop on the bike, I simply wasn't interested. My body isn't super tired, I just wasn't interested. I spent my extra time reading a few extra books to my son who is ever so deserving and awesome.

In all fairness, this should be a rest week anyhow if I was doing 3 on and 1 off but I really wanted it to be next week. Perhaps this week will be just that though with the weather and I just won't have the taper before Salida. Don't really need it I suppose though. We will just have to see how things play out but I kind of need to decide to either rest or don't and not be wishy washy. I need to be purposeful. Either way, I hope to get in a last good long run this weekend with some harder tempo efforts and not have too long of one next weekend.

Wanting to fold and finally hit a treadmill, I am wavering on that decision. I as most runners do loathe treadmills. I like Sherpa John's stance that you build the right might mind by overcoming adversity of outside. I also understand that they can be a good training tool. Much the same I do not like climbing in indoor gyms either... Why? because I am an adventurist overall as this blog states and doing these activities indoors simply removes the adventure. But case in point, if I am so stubborn that I don't want to run on a treadmill a single time this year but then I don't run outside either because it is cold, would a treadmill have been better? Part of me says yes because at least the training would have gotten done but my honest opinion is that I didn't run for other reasons today and would have preferred to run out in the cold and snow than indoors still so I am happy with my virtue to withhold from the rubber wheel for now. Perhaps I will fold another day but today I am happy just resting.

Until next time.

See you at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment