Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Februrary Monthly Summary

Feb has been a successful month. In the end of Jan, My goal was 60 training hours for this month. I only ended up half an hour shy which is pretty good. I almost did hop on the spinner for an hour tonight just to seal the deal but whatever close enough right? The month started warm and and ended up with some nasty cold that didn't allow me to commute for a couple of weeks minus one time and also making biking a chore. Luckily, I got my spinervals just in time to save the week and at least give me something this last week. Admittedly, the final week was more focused on running and the recovery next week will have more biking. The month saw four solid weekend mountainesque long runs with the addition of a mid week 18 mile flat lander one week, at least one trip up the incline each week, and some decent biking but no bike rides over 2 hours. I'm glad I am more running focused as that is where the money is in Leadville but I do need some longer bike efforts. I tried one day but got stopped by deep snow so there you have it.... Some quick comparisons. Looking at my predictions from last month, I predicted 200 running miles and ended with 208.6. That was about 14 mi less than last month but in exchange was almost 3 hours more because the elevation gain was over 7k more despite having 3 less days in the month. I'll take that any day. Looking at the biking, I was hoping for many more miles at 450 vs the 312 I got but what are you gonna do. It was still better than the 273 miles from Jan. I have noticed that on the rollers, my miles are lower respectively than spinners or outdoors. This is natural because the wheels do not spin when you do not pedal. My biking elevation gain was spot on with the prediction at 12K and the actual at 12.5K. I would say I did a good job at being consistent despite the weather this month. I just need to keep carrying the momentum into future months and I should have a very successful spread at Leadman. Looking quickly back at last year, Feb is where I dropped of the radar. I went down to 29 hours of running of which the final 3 weeks saw no long runs and only 3 runs a week. I have now hung on longer than last year already. That said, I think my MAF is still not as good as before I dropped off last year although it is definitely better than the day I did Salida. What I did have then was still speed but the aerobic engine should prove stronger this year and I can hold onto the speed until the end where I can unleash the fury rather than limp in to finish.

As a side note, I finally started booking housing for the events and it has been a mistake to wait this long. I think I have a house locked for the marathon but that is it so far. For the 100 bike, there is absolutely nothing left in town including the hostel so it will either be camping or else staying up the road in BV. For the 100 run, I have a hopeful prospect but it is a smaller house than I was hoping for. Very close to the race start/ finish line though. For the Silver Rush 50s, there are properties. I just need to get one. I was just hoping to have a same house as another race but it looks that they will all be different houses and I won't be able to bring the dog to any but the Marathon.

Actual Numbers:
Miles Run: 208.6
Miles Biked: 312
Total Running Time: 37:50
Total Biking Time: 21:32
Running Elevation Gain: 32,847
Biking Elevation Gain: 12,516

Total miles:  521
Total Time: 59:22
Total Gain: 45,363'



Loose Training Goals From Jan for Feb:

Miles Run: 200
Miles Biked: 450
Total Running Time: 35 Hours
Total Biking Time: 25 Hours
Running Elevation gain: 25,000'
Biking Elevation Gain: 12,000'

Jan's numbers for comparison:

Miles Run: 221.7
Miles Biked: 273.2
Total Running Time: 39:48
Total Biking Time: 16:52
Running Elevation Gain: 24,993
Biking Elevation Gain: 7,428

Total miles:  494.9
Total Time: 56:40
Total Gain: 32,421'

Looking forward to March, I want to lay down a few more goals to see if I cam be realistic and meet them. March I think should look a lot like Feb but hopefully even better. The first week of the month will be an easy rest week but the extra 3 days in the month should make up the difference. I will hold the running mileage, gain, and time goals all the same as it is a pretty solid baseline but I want to pipe up the biking a bit more to the same goal as last month. I want to get at least 25 hours on the bike with one or two 3 hour or longer efforts mixed in there. While big snows can happen in March, things should start warming up a bit so commuting should get easier again which will automatically up my elevation gain. Commuting one day round trip gives me 1k of gain that if I just ride on the trainer I don't get. Really, these numbers look identical to last month except that my biking elevation gain, I moved up 3K. This really all depends on weather. If it permits, I could see the biking gain hitting 20k. All in all, the overall time I am looking for about 60 hours again since I have set the precedence. Either way, I only had 24 hours total in March last year so that shouldn't be hard to beat as I am planning on more than doubling it.

Loose Training Goals For Mar:

Miles Run: 200
Miles Biked: 400
Total Running Time: 35 Hours
Total Biking Time: 25 Hours
Running Elevation gain: 25,000'
Biking Elevation Gain: 15,000'

Until next month...

See you at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment