Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Running on empty

Well the title is running on empty but running I am not. I have not run since Sat and really that was a hike so Friday. This morning was a hard ride home with the steady, cold headwind followed by a day of crappy rest. I did get some hot tub time but didn't have time for a run. School is really squeezing on things. My sleep time was interrupted today by the kiddo not wanting his nap. Ended up with maybe 4 or 5 hours total of sleeping because I had to get up for school. That compiled with 7 the day prior, 5 the day before that, and 2 the day before that, I am tired nonetheless. With my volume of training, I believe I should be having a minimum of 9 hours in a night. That would mean in 4 sleep nights I am running at 19 of 36 hours needed sleep. I'm sure it will effect my training and I will have to dial back on intensity even more to prevent injury because it all is a delicate balance. I don't want to get sick either and my little guy is running a fever and runny nose again. One more week of night shifts and hopefully I can get some more restorative sleep on a regular basis because of 6 months of this it has worn me down. Anyhow, that's life. I rode back into work tonight and my left knee was a bit sore (also happened on the ride in this morning). I just opted for higher cadence, lower level of mashing which seemed to exacerbate the problem. It wasn't intense pain, just dull like something isn't fully aligned while I am biking. The next few days, the focus will shift to running so I can lock down some good foot mileage for the week and I am hoping for a good 20+ mile 4,000'+ elevation gain somewhere between Thurs and Sat when I am better rested. On a positive note, tonight was my first time I have biked in 4 days for a work week for the year so that is awesome. The morning going home is supposed to be windy with a side of wind so that should be fun. Ok Gotta go and get some work done now.

Until next time...

See you at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment