Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Windy running isn't as bad as windy biking

This morning marked the start to an almost epic day. This was the first week this year that I managed to bike commute 4 days in a row to work. I took a risk the 4th day with the storm coming in. Weather forecasts were calling for a NE (Headwind) at 15 mph at the start of my commute and raising to upwards of 25 MPH by the end. I was just hoping that wouldn't come early. I rode against nasty headwind the whole way and it was slow and cold but I got it done one circle at a time. Just keep pedaling... Just keep pedaling. I tried a new route today thinking maybe I would cut some verts due to the wind. What ended up happening is that I figured out how to add verts to my route home. The general commute is an 800' uphill climb. This route made me go over 1k and I worked for it as most of the climbing was also into the wind. I was feeling pretty battered when I got home. Luckily, I got home when I did because sideways hard snow was added to the mix within minutes of arrival. This would have turned my almost epic into an actual epic. Well, either that or I would have called my wife to come get me.

After cooking breakfast for the fam and then chillaxin on the couch with my son, I took a roughly 3 hour nap where I felt very refreshed. Generally, I am slammed after this nap on my first day off and I don't want to get up. Albeit my lack of sleep overall this week, today seemed easier to get up. When I went to bed, it was snowing hard sideways and I was skeptical about what kind of run I would get in. I ended up popping out to a cold but manageable wind and immediately thinking how much less bad wind is on foot than on a bike. I also noticed that my MAF pace was considerably better than last week by almost a minute. Not quite to where I was a few weeks ago but considering I am at a lack of sleep and got my butt kicked this morning and it was windy, it was right about where expected. It feels good again to feel good and it is clear that even though my volume was high last week, that going easier than normal proved beneficial in a leaps and bounds kind of way. Running mileage was at 6 miles today.

I am confident that this week will turn out into another solid volume week despite the crazy school load. I found out the wife is going on a play date in the morning (barring that the kiddo is feeling up to it). If this happens, I am thinking I will go for a 26ish mile loop up into Black forest to Section 16. Run around that and then continue down to Black Forest road over to Woodmen and back out to Falcon. Only get about 1.5k gain here but will be a good chance to lay down some solid mileage. If they don't go, I may just wait and take off around nap time. If I can lay that down with the incline and maybe even some mountain biking with decent gain Friday. I will be open for a trail run with some good gain sat and then wrap up the week with some more bike commutes and be right about where I want for the week and maybe even at the highest volume week of the year thus far. The thing is thought that I always plan too big and then end up with something more realistic and am happy with what I actually get. This week is no different. I will get in what I can when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment