Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Summary of Training week 23-29 March 2015

Weekly Totals:

Miles Run: 53.8
Hours Run: 11:14
Running Elevation Gain: 7,546'


Miles Biked: 95.8
Hours Biked: 7:14
Biking Elevation Gain: 5,919'
Total Power: 4,870 kJ

Total Training Time: 18:28
Total Elevation Gain: 13,465'

Summary: 
Bounce back week. After my active recovery from the Marathon last week, I was anxious to get back to work this week. I started things off right with several bike commutes and found a new route home that gains over 1K in elevation. Extra hills are always nice. Then I had a casual marathon around the neighborhood where I noticed my MAF was jacked but I just ran steady and easy and felt great throughout. After that, we had the family trip up the incline which really pads my training hours by 2 hours more than I would have had solo. Should these hours be counted? Who cares. What matters is a few other things. First and foremost, we got extended family time in the outdoors. Positive there. Next, I carried my son in a pack- Positive there. That should count for more than just hiking it solo. Last, I was outdoors being active. Positive there. Lots of positives all around so that's that. Wrapped up the week with a solid bike ride on Saturday. First time I got on the MTB in a while and got 26 mi and 3k of gain and some more sun rays. Today, the plan was to wrap up the week with a trip up to Barr camp this morning and one final bike commute into work. I did a solid job at keeping my heart rate low and most of the time in the mid 150s sometimes dropping down and sometimes getting up to around 162 before floating back down. The result was that once I hit Barr camp, I was only a few minutes slower than normal but I had full energy coming down. With low effort, I was rocketing down hitting mid 6 min pace on the non icy spots and mid 7's on the icier parts. I had one slip up high but no foul. Once I got back down to incline territory, I realized I was on point for a PR for the descent so I kept cruising. Only problem is the weekend floods Barr with incline users, many of whom like to wear headphones and not pay attention to their surroundings. After shouting Runner and slowing a bit, one gal didn't hear me. I dodged to the left and caught my left big toe on a rock. It slammed me down face first sliding down the trail. I landed with my head between two rocks and dirt on my face. I just laid there for a second taking a survey of what just happened. Then I got up, brushed myself off and saw blood all over my forearms, my shirt was torn, my knee was bleeding pretty good and my left shoe had blown apart. There was a 3-4" hole in the top of my left shoe (Brand new Altras) where my toe had blown through on impact. My right foot was throbbing as I continued to jog down now struggling to keep a 10 min pace. By the time, I reached Hydro street, I was just walking. No more running and just limping along. I walked it in back to the Car down at memorial where I took a deeper survey. It looks like the ligament that connects my big toe to the foot was the main point of impact. I was unable to lift and lower my big toe and had virtually no range of motion. Obviously very painful to the touch and throbbing. I don't know if there is bone damage underneath and I know the next toe hurts too. Hopefully just jammed. I plan to give it a couple of days to see if it feels better as I ice, elevate, and rest. If it doesn't get better, I will be forced to go to the doc. Looks like a rest week for me this coming week. I was going to wait one more week but now seems prudent.

Ok back to the positive. Largest amount of training hours to boot for one week ever in my life! Positive. (Would have been more if I could have had commuted in tonight)- Oops negative. Most biking elevation gain in one week. Positive. Most total elevation gain in one week for the year- positive. Most elevation gain in a non-racing week (positive). So many positives here. Solid week. I just need to be patient and hope this injury doesn't linger and haunt me into the season. I don't want to be set back at all. Was going to sign up for Rattler Trail 50k at Palmer for Apr 18 and Quad rock 50 mi both by the end of this month to get the cheaper prices. I think I will hold off for either to make sure I can actually run by then. Also am going to take the cash loss on new shoes and maybe some Dr. bills. I am thinking I will send a picture to Altra of my Superior 2.0's saying that these are their most "rugged" trail shoes and are virtually new for me and got this giant hole. Maybe they will take pity on me and throw me a free pair. It's worth a shot right?

Until next time...

See you at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment